Considering Porting to Windows Mobile Phone 7 Series

Developer
May 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Shouldn't we start to port the project to Windows Mobile Phone 7 Series. It seems that Windows Mobile 6.5 is near its end of life. Moreover as far as I know all Windows Mobile Phone 6.5 phone will not be able to run Windows Mobile Phone 7 OS and if we want people to use our product we should consider supporting the new and promising OS soon.

What do you say?

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM
Hmm.. interesting thought. My two cents on the subject; Windows 6.5 is not going away any soon. W7 is a totally new platform similar to (and competing with) the likes of iPhone, WebOs and Android. Aimed more at touch-friendly, capacitive screens with focus on ease of use, integration with social media, multi-touch and very controlled App store. It will never match the functional depth and openness of W6.5. A couple of examples of things which, are unique to (and why I plan to continue to stick with) Win 6.5. - Keyboard shortcuts similar to Windows OS, - Dedicated Cntrl button on keypad. Allows you to do Ctrl-C for Copy, Ctrl V for Paste, Ctrl+Z for Undo and so on. From what I have heard, W7 will not support multi-tasking and the initial version will not even have regular Copy Paste. The way I see it, it will be as capable as iPhone 1.0 that came out a few years back. It will take a few years, after the launch, that it will mature into something that may appeal to the Win 6.5 aficionado. If they stop Win 6.5, I for one, will most likely join the iPhone or Android band wagon. Long Live Win 6.5 !!
Developer
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:32 AM

@sminkal

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that there will be some shortcomings on WP7 in the first release. On the other hand, there will be some new interesting stuff on this OS which will make the user experience better, even if the user will not have keyboard shortcuts and multi-tasking on the first release. Users still enjoyed the iPhone on the first release and the same happened for Android. Since Microsoft will soon stop supporting Windows Mobile 6.5 I beleive that investing our time on a product whose end-of-life should be declared shortly is wrong. For me as a developer I prefer to be in the front of the technology and therefore working on the new platform is preferred. We can consider supporting WM 6.5 for some time, but I will have to discuss that with Robbert.

regards,

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM
Edited Aug 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM

Windows Phone 7, in its first iterations, is more likely to appeal to consumers, not professionals. Those who use their phones mainly to do serious professional work will find WP7 to be lacking and will likely look at Android or WM6.5's business phone successor (which MS has said will be WM 6.5-based, not WP7-based). This app is an interface for a business-oriented application, so I think it would only make sense to support WM6.5 (even if a WP7 version is added) at least until MS releases something else for professional phone users.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I for one feel that I am extremely unlikely to go WinMo 7.  I would rather go Android but prefer the flexibility that WinMo 6.5.x gives me.  

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I agree with AngusCS. I just bought a WinMo 6.5 a couple of days ago. Because WinMo 7 is to be released soon, prices on 6.5 drop rapidly. I personally don't want WinMo7 because of it's iPhone like behavior. Single tasking, no copy/paste, no tweaking, all Marketplace driven. No thanks. That's what I like about Windows Mobile so that's why I stay with 6.5. And I think many users will keep using their current phones, so there will remain a huge group of users that are interested in this release.

May 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Has there been any further thoughts on this?  WM6.5 is pretty much dead right now.  WM7 is looking good and with Mango it seems to be making great progress.  The LinkedIn website is pretty bad on mobile devices, so an app for it would be great.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Do you think you should use it? The professional networking program released an “Apply with LinkedIn” option Monday that will modify the game when it comes to online career applications. Several job recruiting aggregators and business sites like Netflix and Living Social are already using the new LinkedIn feature, with many more to come, according to a LinkedIn press release. Here is the proof: Apply with LinkedIn aligns stars around job networking service